Wednesday 18 June 2008

Discovery - The Night Marchers


It's been a while since I've posted here so I think it's best that I get back into the flow of things now. I've been listening to a lot of new bands recently, desperately searching for a new band which will influence me as much as my discovery of Rocket From The Crypt several months ago. In my search I thought I'd look into what "Speedo" from Rocket has been doing since his departure from the Crypt. I'm surprised to say that he's been a very busy guy, producing 3 albums with the excellent Hot Snakes (I'll save them for another post) and then going on to form The Night Marchers in 2007. The album See You in Magic sounds very similar to RFTC minus the trumpets and I'm delighted to say is an excellent, excellent punkesque record.

The opening track has a very catchy riff as I have come to expect from Speedo, and his harsh vocals work incredibly well. The second track is one of my favourites, I Snore ZZZZ and it's the wacky lyrics that I love about it most. The rest of the album is medocre, with a few moments of genius coming through on Whose Lady r u and You've Got Nerve. What I love about the album the most is that's its so easy to listen to, with the catchy riffs strumming nicely along in the background.

Overall, an excellent album if you love Rocket / Hot Snakes, it's definately one I'll be listening to a lot in the future and I look forward to hearing more from them soon. A UK tour would be awesome though I feel that they're unlikely to come here anytime soon.

Some tracks for you to try:

Closed For Inventory
In Dead Sleep (I Snore ZZZZ)
Whose Lady R U

Grab the ZIP here.

No comments: