Monday 4 February 2008

Monday Mix - 04/02/2008

Every Monday it is my intention to share 5 tracks that I have been listening to over the past week or I feel that you should definitely listen to at least once. My thanks goes to Alex over at Wolf Lullaby for the idea, I hope you don't mind me using it. Without further ado, I bring you my mix of 5 tracks, give them a listen, you might be surprised at what you find...

Incubus - Make Yourself
I could talk for hours about how much I Enjoy Incubus. (A select few may see the pun there) This song is from the album of the same name and is arguably one of their best tracks. One of their more mellow songs, it is powered by a strong riff and some excellent lyrics not to mention Brandon Boyd's superb vocal talents. "If I hadn't made me, I Would've been made somehow.. If I hadn't assembled myself, Id've fallen apart by now."

Pezz - Fairytale
Pezz were forced to change their name for legal reasons a number of years ago, many of you will be familar with their current name - Billy Talent. If you like the energy of Billy Talent you should definitely try Pezz. It's notoriously difficult to get hold of their albums, but if you ask nicely I may share...

Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Rapid Fire Tollbooth
This song first appeared on Omar's solo album, Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo before he and Cedric Bixler-Zavala adopted it for the new Mars Volta album. They changed the song name and increased the tempo to create what is now called Goliath. This song is far more mellow but just as enjoyable. If you don't like The Mars Volta then give it a listen too, it doesn't sound anything like them par Cedric's singing.

Les Savy Fav - The Equestrian
Les Savy Fav are a band I've been listening to a lot recently and I've not quite decided what I think of them yet. They produce what could be best described as Punk, and this song is no exception to the rule. Tim Harrington's vocals in this track remind me of Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam - which is never a bad thing. This song sounds rather angry but has quite a cheery, catchy chorus. I'll do a feature on them once I'm more familar with their most recent album, Let's Stay Friends (2007). Watch this space...

Hundred Reasons - Kill Your Own
Hundred Reasons are a great band if you enjoy some heavy prog rock and this song off their 3rd album is no exception. A great band to see live, go and see them if you ever get the chance, they put on a great show. (Apologies for the m4a format - blame iTunes)

Next week will be a more mellow Monday Mix, I promise ;-)

No comments: