Friday 15 February 2008

Retrospective - Weezer - The Blue Album


Weezer have been around for a long time. Since I was 7 actually, which is quite a scary thought. I've enjoyed their catchy beats and memorable lyrics since they released the album commonly dubbed "The Green Album" a number of years ago and I've been hooked ever since. As I do with lots of bands, I browsed through their back catalogue after listening to the Green album and was delighted with what I found. With "The Blue Album" every song flows prefectly into the next, from the catchy "My Name is Jonas" into the nice but forgettable "No One Else". The album also includes what could be regarded as one of their biggest hits "Buddy Holly", a powerful pop/rock anthem.

There's something about Weezer that makes it very hard not to like this album. It is accessible as a pop record yet has the solid guitar parts that make it acceptable to be a rock record too. I strongly suggest you try it out if you enjoy some of their later hits such as Dope Nose, Take Control and Island In The Sun. A few songs for you to sample:

Buddy Holly
Say It Ain't So
Surf Wax America

1 comment:

Mark Shields said...

I have to agree that they are sublime, but Pinkerton is close to perfection in terms of rock pop. I think the reason they are so endearing is that they are geek-rock pioneers, surviving almost every influx of new genres - Grunge, Garage, Post-rock, harcore, Numetal... they seem to transcend all of them and still come out the other side with a little hook and an amazing melody.

Basically, good choice.