Monday 25 February 2008

Monday Mix - 25/02/2008

Every Monday it is my intention to share 5 tracks that I have been listening to over the past week and I feel that you should definitely listen to at least once.

Rocket From The Crypt - On A Rope
It's not often that I get excited when I discover a new band but finding out about Rocket From The Crypt through the Drowned In Sound forums has definitely created an exception to this rule for me. Someone had posted a message thanking members for recommending him/her At The Drive-In and I simply asked about any similar bands that people knew of later in the post. RFTC was mentioned along with a few others that I have still to investigate. This song comes from what I regard as their best album, Scream, Dracula, Scream! an album that I will review in the near future. A post-hardcore / punk song is what to expect from this song although it still has the catchyness of a regular pop song - definately worth a listen.

The Icarus Line - Slayer
The Icarus Line are a band I've been meaning to listen to for a while and I'm still undecided on what I think of them. This song comes from their 2007 album Black Lives At The Golden Coast, an album I will be listening to more this week. I do like this song, it's very different to the harsh opening of the album, this song is far more melodic and mellow which I think I prefer from this band.

Les Savy Fav - Fading Vibes
Okay, so I'm posting another Les Savy Fav song. I've been listening to them again this week and I'm delighted that Mark has now got into them too, which is part of the point of this blog - sharing music interests. This track is off their 2004 album, Inches, which is a bit hit and miss but with it consisting of 18 tracks you can't expect every song to be a masterpiece. This song is one of the better tracks, a catchy almost pop-y kind of song. I'd recommend giving Inches a listen after trying their 2007 album Let's Stay Friends.

Rocket From The Crypt - Carne Voodoo
This track is from their earlier album, Group Sounds. Just like On A Rope this song is very Punk-pop, with a catchy riff that you begin to expect from this band. Definately worth a listen after you have played Scream, Dracula, Scream! to death...

Drive Like Jehu - Human Interest

My final choice of the week, Drive Like Jehu are another band I have picked up on recently. Their album's are notoriously difficult to find, I managed to download Yank Crime after waiting for about 4 days for it. They're more heavy than my previous choices, but still very post-hardcore. I'm still undecided on the album, some songs are a bit hit or miss and some appear unnecessarily long. However, this song along with Golden Brown are definately worth a listen.

No comments: